Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Week 4, Thing 8 - Bloglines

After going through several of the tutorials, I decided that the bloglines thing seemed fairly straight forward and simple. I had my account set up and was subscribed to 10 feeds within 15 minutes of starting the process. I might have been able to do it faster, but I was working the desk too. I'm not really clear on why I would want to provide a public link to my RSS account, so I don't plan on doing that right now. I'm not sure how often I'll actually use the feed reader since I have to go to a site I don't normally visit to long into my reader, but it's a nice program. I set up a feed from CMT and actually found out as a result of the feed that a group that I'd like to see in concert is going to be in the area this fall.

Personally, it would be useful not to have to visit music websites and online comics and just get the page updates sent to me instead. Professionally, I think the Young Adult feed that I subscribed to will help me find out about titles that our library doesn't own or that I haven't gotten a chance to read myself.

I think libraries could utilize RSS as a marketing tool. If the library created an RSS feed that patrons could subscribe to, we could send information about new programs and other library news directly to patrons. Also, RSS feeds could help staff members stay informed about new books and authors.

No comments: