Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Thing 14 - Technorati

I didn't really know what to expect from Technorati going into this "thing". After exploring the site for a while, I don't think I'll be using it very often. I think it falls into the "too much of a good thing" trap. More often then not, when I searched for a specific subject I got hundreds or thousands of results. I don't have time to sift through that many blogs and posts. I guess if blogging took up a big part of your day the site would be great. I don't so it doesn't seem like anything special in my opinion.

Searching for "learning 2.0" under blog posts brings up every blog post that contains that phrase somewhere in its text (well over 3,000). Doing the same search as a tag search brings up blogs tagged as "learning 2.0", as well as photos and videos containing that tag. A blog directory search appears to only include entire blogs that are tagged (I assume) with "learning 2.0". Most have that phrase somewhere in their titles or page descriptions.

A lot of the top "favorited" blogs and top blogs are the same. Many of the highest ranked ones are somehow related to technology. Based on those results, you'd think the top searches would be technology-related as well. However, most of the top searches were music-related (typically a specific artist) or social networking searches (MySpace, Facebook, etc.)

While the site compiles a lot of information, the volume of search results doesn't seem to make it practical for library reference purposes.

No comments: