Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Thing 19 - my own personal radio station

I love music (country music mostly) so I decided to check out the Web 2.0 awards music category. I chose to explore the category winner www.pandora.com, a site that creates a "radio station" just for you based on an initial song or artist input and any feedback that you supply on subsequent songs. You may not hear the initial song or artist you entered right away. I thought the site was really cool because it tried to focus in on the specific type of songs I was looking for, not just a general genre. The only drawback I found was that it only lets you skip so many songs per hour. So you can't see what else is next on the play list for your station. I think patrons could use this site if they wanted to listen to music while using library computers. I don't think it's very useful for library staff members while they're helping the public but it does provide an option for listening to music at your desk (if you have one).

No comments: